USS E-1 [ex-Skipjack] (SS-24)
Keel laid down by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, MA, 22DEC09;
Launched: 27MAY11; Sponsored by Mrs. Donald R. Battles;
Commissioned: 14FEB12 with Lt Chester W. Nimitz in command;
Sold for scrapping 19APR22.
USS E-1 (SS-) was christened and launched as SKIPJACK and renamed E-1 on 17 November 1911.
Six days after commissioning, E-1 sailed from Boston for Norfolk via Newport and New York. Off the Virginia Capes, she underwent tests through April. Her engines were overhauled at Groton, CT, and she began operations off southern New England. On 28 September 1912, she arrived at the New York Navy Yard for alterations, repairs, and installation of a Sperry gyrocompass, for which she became a pioneer underwater test platform. She also experimented with using radio equipments while submerged. E-1 conducted tests of these and other important developments under the direction of Commander, Submarine Flotilla, United States Atlantic Fleet.
Throughout his career, Chester W. Nimitz played a progressive and leading role in the incorporation into the Navy of the vast scientific and technological developments of this century many of them pioneered by the United States Navy.
On 14 October 1912, E-1 proudly passed in review with the fleet in the North River before Secretary of the Navy George von L. Meyer.
E-1 continued important experimental development and training with the Atlantic Fleet for the next five years, until 4 December 1917, when she left Newport, til 4 December 1917, when she left Newport, RI, for the Azores and different duty.
From 12 January 1918, she patrolled between Ponta Delgada and Horta, protecting the Azores from German attack and use as a haven by U-boats. She transited to the United States Naval Submarine Base at New London/Groton, CT, arriving on 17 September 1918. After overhaul, E-1 trained new submariners and tested experimental underwater listening gear later to be known as SONAR.
Placed in commission in reserve on 20 March 1920, E-1 arrived at Norfolk, VA, on 22 April. There she was placed in commission in ordinary on 18 July 1921, and, on 17 September, transited to Philadelphia where she was decommissioned on 20 October 1921 and sold on 19 April 1922.